iMachining 3D for Prismatic Parts
iMachining 3D dramatically reduces programming time for milling prismatic (features located on flat planes) parts, with multiple pockets and islands.
- While standard 2.5D CAM programming requires users to select or define geometry for each feature (both chain and depth) resulting in several operations, iMachining 3D eliminates the need for time-consuming geometry definition by automatically identifying geometry and depth directly from the 3D CAD model.
- Using true Scallop-driven, intelligent step-up technology (small upward steps with constant scallop height) to optimally prepare the part for Finishing during the Roughing cycle, combines Roughing and Rest Roughing in a single operation.
Using iMachining 3D to machine prismatic parts, performance and efficiency are automatically maximized to achieve the shortest possible cycle time:
- iMachining 3D uses the deepest step downs first to remove the most amount of material, resulting in optimized depths of cut. Material Removal Rate (MRR) and tool life are maximized and the need for full retracts is eliminated.
- iMachining 3D performs intelligent sorting (optimal grouping of close proximity of cuts) for intelligent combining of 2D Z-level regional cuts. Non-cutting moves are also reduced by the 3D Z-level ordering, and localized machining of 2D tool path regions.
- iMachining 3D applies smart positioning between 2D Z-level regions. Long position moves are reduced by the 3D Z-level linking and localized machining of 2D tool path regions.
- iMachining 3D provides automatic protection of the Target model so that large tools can safely be used in confined spaces.